You can set up location-based activity alerts to disable notifications from UniFi Protect when the user is on site (e.g. within a city block) and doesn't need to be notified.
To enable location-based activity alerts for a UniFi Protect user, you need to configure:
- the physical location of your UniFi Protect Controller
- the location of the user's primary mobile device, limited to one per user
- Define the location of your UniFi Protect Controller
- Configure the location of your primary mobile device
- Enable location-based activity alerts
- Improve location update reliability
Define the location of your UniFi Protect Controller
To define the location of your UniFi Protect Controller:
- Make sure that your UniFi Protect Controller has remote access enabled
- Log into the controller and visit Settings > Location/Time to specify the address of your site
- Adjust Geofencing Radius to fine-tune the area where the mobile device is considered On-Site
- Click Confirm Changes
If you experience unexpected status changes while on site, increase the geofencing radius.
Configure the location of your primary mobile device
To configure the location of your mobile device:
- Make sure your UniFi Protect mobile app has access to High Accuracy Data
- Make sure your device has reliable cellular data
- Open the UniFi Protect app, go to Settings and select the primary device from the list
- Go to the left side panel and select Settings > Account & Cloud to select your account
You will see your status displayed as On Site or Away depending on whether you're currently on site.
Configure location-based activity alerts
After you've configured the locations of your controller and your primary device, you can create activity alerts using Web UI or the mobile app.
To create activity alerts using the UniFi Protect mobile app:
1. Go to Settings > Alerts to create a new activity alert or edit an existing one
2. Adjust When to Send to define whether you want the alerts sent when the primary device owner is off site (Away) or when all users are off site (All users are off site).
3. Customize the alerts for each camera and tap Back to save the changes
To create activity alerts using the Web UI:
- Log into the controller and visit Settings > My Alerts to create a new activity alert or edit an existing one
- Adjust When to Send to define whether you want the alerts sent when the primary device owner is off site (When I am away) or when all users are off site (When all users are away).
- Customize the alerts for each camera and click Save to save the changes
Improve location update reliability
The UniFi Protect mobile app depends on the GPS and its communication with the UniFi Protect Controller to provide an accurate location.
If you are experiencing location-related issues, follow the steps below to improve the location update reliability.
For iOS / iPadOS devices:
- Enable GPS Location and WiFi/Cellular data to improve location accuracy
- Set the UniFi Protect app Location Setting permission to "Always"
- Disable Low Power mode as it may prevent the app from sending location status updates
- Enable Background App Refresh and Cellular Data for the UniFi Protect app
- Disable VPN or Mobile Hotspot if they interfere with location accuracy
For Android devices:
- Enable GPS and Location and select High Accuracy mode (if available)
- Enable Wi-Fi and mobile data to improve location accuracy
- Disable data saving settings
- Disable battery optimization for the UniFi Protect app via Settings > Battery > Battery Optimization > Don't Optimize
- Disable the power saving mode to make sure it isn't auto-enabled once your phone battery is low
- Disable the Deep Sleep setting for the UniFi Protect app to make sure you don't receive location status updates after opening the app