Traffic Rules provide a powerful means of managing your networks and devices, as well as enhancing your network’s security. Common use-cases include:
- Parental Controls
- Content filtering
- DNS filtering (using a website’s name to block or allow traffic)
- Configuring internet schedules for particular networks or devices
- Internet Security
- Filtering traffic based on regions or IP addresses
- Intranet Security
- Isolating local networks
- Configure traffic between certain networks or devices on your network
Although UniFi enables traditional Firewall configuration, they are only recommended to advanced users that are historically familiar with them. Traffic Rules are generally recommended instead because they allow you to achieve the same outcome in a much more intuitive and streamlined way. As a matter of fact, whenever you create a Traffic Rule, UniFi is actually configuring several Firewall Rules in the background to achieve your desired result!
- A UniFi gateway.
Note: Traffic Rules are not available on the USG.
- Device Identification and Traffic Identification must be enabled in your Traffic Management settings.
Configuring Traffic Rules
Traffic Rules are configured under the Settings > Traffic Management section of your UniFi Network Application.
- Begin by selecting whether you wish to block or allow a particular type of traffic.
- Select the Category of traffic you are interested in:
- App: used for specific programs or applications.
- App Group: useful for moderating particular types of content.
- Domain Name: allows you to set rules for specific websites.
- IP Addresses: useful if you wish to set rules based on specific IP addresses or ranges of IP addresses.
- Region: allows for GeoIP and country blocking.
- Internet: useful for allowing or limiting access to the internet among your networks and devices.
- Local Networks: easily configure how devices on your network are able to communicate with each other.
- Select the Target of your traffic rule. This can be any combination of specific networks or devices.
- Choose if you want this rule to apply always, or on a specific Schedule.
- Add a Description to remind yourself and other network admins what this rule is doing.