Before you try UniFi Network’s integrated VPN, take a look at this brief overview of all the information you need to get started.
What is Teleport?
Teleport is a one-click VPN that allows you to remotely connect to a UniFi OS Console’s network.
What Do I Need?
- One of the following UniFi OS Consoles:
- A Dream Machine or Dream Machine Pro running 1.12.0 or later.
- A Dream Router or Dream Machine Pro Special Edition running 2.4.0 or later.
- UniFi Network version 7.1 or later.
- A client device capable of running the WiFiman mobile app (Android/iOS).
- The UniFi OS Console must have Remote Access enabled.
How Does It Work?
- Go to Settings > Teleport & VPN in your UniFi Network application to configure and activate your Teleport VPN (admins only).
- Generate an invitation link to your console’s VPN and share it with your desired recipient. The link expires in 24 hours and can only be utilized by a single device at a time.
- When your recipient taps the link:
- A quick Teleport setup module will appear in their WiFiman mobile app, if they have it installed.
- A landing page will appear with a WiFiman download link, if they do not have it installed.
- Once your recipient has set up Teleport, they can remotely access your console’s network with a single tap.
Can I Revoke Access?
Yes, both before and after an invitation is accepted. Here’s how:
- If your invitation has not been accepted yet, simply go to Settings > Teleport & VPN > Invitation History table in UniFi Network and revoke it.
- If it has been accepted, find the user’s device on Network’s Client Devices page and revoke its access. This can also be done in the WiFiman mobile app.
What Else Should I Know?
You already have enough knowledge to dive in and get the most out of Teleport; but if you’d like to learn a little more, here are some of the most frequently asked questions about the service.
Is Teleport secure, and does it track my data?
Teleport uses Wireguard VPN to encrypt your traffic and secure remote access connections, but does not store your data.
How does Teleport compare with other VPNs, and can you use them in tandem?
Teleport’s Wireguard integration allows it to deliver higher throughput than traditional VPNs. Teleport doesn’t reserve addresses or ports, though, so you can use it alongside another VPN (e.g., IPSec, OpenVPN, L2TP, UID, etc.). We are aware of a known issue that may cause IPsec site-to-site VPNs to drop in some situations when a Teleport client connects.
Can I change the subnet of connected clients?
Not currently, but we hope to introduce this functionality in the future.
Do port forwarding rules affect Teleport?
No, each Teleport connection dynamically selects its address and port.