This article describes how UID administrators can add or import users, manage user settings, assign roles to users, view the organization chart.
- Manage workspace user visibility and other settings
- User statuses
- Add new users to the workspace
- Import users from a CSV format file
- Import users from G Suite or Office 365
- Activate a user account
- Deactivate and delete users
- Suspend and unsuspend users
- Assign groups to users
- Manage user passwords
- View the organization chart
- Manage user roles and groups
Manage workspace user visibility and other settings
Click the Users tab to access and configure the following settings:
- Login Method for Identity Provider Users:
- UID Account/Password or Identity Provider is selected by default. When selected, the Identity Provider Users (IDP) can use either a UID account/password or IDP credentials to log in to the workspace.
- Select Only Identity Provider to require users to log in to the workspace with IDP credentials.
- Email Domain for UID Account
- Allow Users to See All Users
- Allow Site Admin to See All UsersAllow Site Admin to Edit Site Users
- Allow Site Admin to Add or Invite Users
There are various user statuses in UID:
- Staged: An account activation email has been sent to the user.
- Pending: An account invitation email has been sent to the user, but they cannot log in to UID until they have set a new, permanent password.
- Active: The user has set their new password and can now log in to UID.
- Password Expired: The user’s password has expired and they cannot log in to UID.
- Password Reset: A password reset email has been sent to the user. They will not be able to log in to UID until they’ve set a new password.
- Locked: The user has either made more failed login attempts than permitted by the Password Policy or exceeded five, consecutive MFA verification failures. Users in this state cannot log in to UID.
- Suspended: The user has been suspended by a UID admin. They will not be able to log in again until an admin reverts this status back to the one the user previously held.
- Deprovisioning: The user has been deleted by an admin and cannot log in to UID.
- Deactivated: A UID admin has performed a resignation operation on the user. They can no longer log in to UID or access any door connected to a UniFi Access deployment. Admins can delete deactivated users. Once done, they will be removed from the UID workspace.
Add new users to the workspace
You can add new users one by one or invite multiple users simultaneously.
Once a user is invited, they will need to activate their account and set up multi-factor authentication (MFA).
For more information on this process, see UID - Employee guide to UID.
Add a single new user
This method allows the admin to add a single user and assign a group and other necessary information.
To add a single user to a workspace:
- Log in to the UID Admin Portal and go to the Users section.
- Click Add Users in the upper-right corner of the screen and select Add New User.
- Enter the required information and any additional details about the user as necessary, such as the user first and last name, email address(es), and others:
- To make the user appear in the Organization chart, at least one Supervisor needs to be selected for the user in the Report To section.
- Once you've entered all the necessary details, click Add to proceed to the next step.
- Select the UID WiFi and UID VPN to assign to the new user and click Finish, or click Skip if you do not want to assign the WiFi and VPN at this moment.
- Assign an NFC card and an access policy and click Finish, or click Skip to finish adding the user and send the user an invitation email.
This method allows the admin to invite multiple users to sign up to a single group. Once invited, the user(s) will receive an invitation email with instructions for activating their account.
Note: In the user invitation process, the admin will not be able to edit the user information or assign groups and other details to them. The admin will need to search for the users in the Users section to add the necessary information once they activate their accounts.
To invite multiple users simultaneously:
- While in the Users section, click Add Users > Invite User.
- Enter the required information for the user.
- Click Add Another to enter details for another user, and repeat the process for all users you need to add to the workspace.
- Select the group that you'll assign the new users to.
- Click Send Invitation to complete the process and send the invitation emails to the new users.
Import users from a CSV format file
- In the Users section, click Add User and select Import Users from CSV.
- Download the CSV template file by clicking on the text link in the description.
- Open the template file and enter the information in the format required on the template.
Note: The information must be entered strictly according to the format of the template. Do not move or modify the columns and column headers.
- When all the necessary data is entered, save the file in a CSV format.
- Click Browse file, select your CSV file and click Upload.
- Select the users you want to import to your workspace and enable the checkbox to send the invitation email to the users.
Once the user importing is completed, you will see the import results on the screen.
Import users from G Suite or Office 365
You can also import users from G Suite and Office 365. The example below uses G Suite, but you can follow the same instructions when importing users from Office 365.
1. In the Users section, select the Import Users tab and click Import User under the G Suite icon.
2. Click Authorize G Suite or Authorize Office 365 to authorize the account.
3. Select the users you want to import to your workspace.
4. Click Import to UID and wait for the importing process to be completed.
a. You will see a number of users imported successfully.
b. If there are any import errors, check the reason for the import error in the Reason column.
Upon completion, the users will have a Pending status and will receive an invitation email. Once the users activate their account, their status will change to Active.
Activate a user account
When a user is in a Staged or Deactivated state, the administrator can activate the user, and the user will receive an activation email. After completing account activation, the user’s status will change to Active and the user can log into the UID system with the latest set password.
To activate a user:
- In the Users section, click Filter to filter the users by the By Status and select Staged or Deactivated.
- Activate the user:
- If there is only one user that needs to be activated, you will be directed directly to the user activation screen. Enter the required information and click Next to activate the user.
- If there are multiple users that need to be activated, click Activate in the bottom-right corner, then click Confirm on the pop-up window.
Deactivate and delete users
Once a user is deactivated, the system will start to revoke all the user's resources and the user will now be in a Provisioning state. Once all resources are revoked, the user will be in the Deactivated state.
A user in the Deactivated state cannot log in to UID, and the administrator cannot assign any Applications to the user.
To deactivate or delete a user:
- Select the user you want to deactivate.
- On the bottom-right corner, select the Deactivate or Delete activity from the dropdown field, and click the confirmation button in the pop-up window.
Note: Once the deactivated user's resources are revoked, you can click the + icon to view the relevant resources that have been revoked.
If a user is deleted, that user will no longer appear under this workspace.
Suspend and unsuspend users
Once suspended, a user will not be able to log in to UID.
To suspend a user:
- Select the user you want to suspend.
- On the bottom-right corner, select the Suspend activity from the dropdown field, and click the confirmation button in the pop-up window.
To unsuspend a user:
- Filter the users By Status > Suspended.
- Select the user you want to unsuspend.
- Click Unsuspend and click the confirmation button in the pop-up window.
Assign groups to users
If a user isn't assigned to a particular group:
- Go to the Users section and use the filters "By Group" > Unassigned User.
- Mark the user you want to assign to a group and click More Actions > Move to at the bottom of the screen.
- In the pop-up window, select the group to which to assign the user and click OK.
Manage user passwords
You can reset, expire, and unlock the users' passwords.
Once you reset a user's password, the user's status will change to the Password Reset state, and a password reset email will be sent to the user's email. Users with this status will not be able to log in to UID.
After the user has reset the password, their status will change to Active.
To reset a user's password, select the user, click Reset Password in the bottom-right corner, and click the confirmation button on the pop-up window.
Once you expire a user's password, a temporary password will be generated. The user will need to use this temporary password to log in to UID. After verification, the user will need to create a new password for their account.
To expire a user's password:
- Select the user and click Expire Password in the bottom-right corner.
- Select to send an email to the user with a temporary password, and click Confirm.
Note: When you're expiring the passwords for multiple users simultaneously, the send email checkbox and temporary password window will not appear.
The user's password can be unlocked by the user, by the admin, or automatically if the password policy is set up to unlock user passwords after a certain amount of time has passed.
For more information on the password policy settings, see UID - Manage security policies.
To unlock a user's password as an administrator, select the user, click Unlock in the bottom-right corner, and click the confirmation button on the pop-up window.
View the organization chart
You can view the workspace users in an organization chart. However, users must have a supervisor associated with their profile to be viewable in the organization chart.
To add a supervisor if a user has none assigned, go to the Users section, click on the user, and click Add Supervisor.
To remove a supervisor from the user, click on the user and then click Remove by the current supervisor.
To easily find users and visualize their position within your company, either:
- Click the rocket icon in the upper-right corner of your main dashboard to access the Directory section, then click the Org Chart tab, or
- Log in to UID with an admin account, then go to Users > Org Chart.
Hover over the user's avatar to see the current user's basic information card. Click See more on the top-right corner of the information card to display the user's properties panel.
Manage user roles and groups
For more information on the user role and user group management, see UID - User roles and user groups.