UID Cloud is an Identity-as-a-Service (IDaaS) platform that provides Cloud-based authentication and identity management to businesses. With UID, you can connect to your corporate WiFi network or VPN with a single click or tap in the UI web application and mobile app.
Additionally, you can use UID Access to open connected doors with an NFC card, the UI mobile app, a hand wave, and other convenient access methods configured by your workspace's administrators.
This article will describe how to accept an invitation to set up your UID account and its multi-factor authentication (MFA), as well as how to access your workspace and utilize its features.
- Activate your UID account
- Navigate the UID User Portal on a web browser
- Download the UI applications
- Manage your notifications
- Open doors using UID Access
- Troubleshoot UID account issues
- Troubleshoot UID VPN and UID WiFi issues
- Troubleshoot UID Access issues
Activate your UID account
1. Check your email for the invitation to your team's UID workspace and initiate the account setup wizard.
Once your workspace administrator creates your account, you should receive an invitation email, shown below. Click Activate UID Account to start the account activation wizard.
2. Set your account password, or enter the password provided by your workspace administrator, then create a security question.
- If your workspace administrator has allowed you to create your own password, you'll see the screen below. Enter a password that meets the listed requirements.
- If the workspace administrator has provided you with a password, enter the password you see on the invitation email.
Once logged in, you will be redirected to a password reset page. Here, you can set a new, permanent password.
After you have entered your new password, select a preset security question from the drop-down menu or create a custom one. Enter the question’s answer then click Continue.
3. Set up multi-factor authentication with the UI Verify mobile app and via SMS authentication.
Click Set Up next to your preferred authentication method and follow its respective, on-screen instructions. Once set up, click Continue and repeat the process for additional authentication methods.
Once finished, you will be automatically redirected to the UID User Portal's Download section where you will find the download links for all UID-related applications.
Navigate the UID User Portal on a web browser
Navigate to [your workspace domain].ui.com/login to access the UID User Portal on your web browser (Google Chrome is recommended).
The Application section will list all of your workspace’s applications. These applications are downloaded by your workspace administrator to streamline administrative tasks, such as submitting time-off requests, expense reports, and business trip approvals.
The Approvals section lets you submit and process a variety of approval requests.
The Directory lists all workspace users and provides their basic information, such as first and last name, job title, location, and phone number if included by the administrator.
The Help Desk is the organizational support center. Click New Ticket to create a new support ticket, or click All Tickets in the left sidebar menu to view your submitted tickets and tickets assigned to you.
Select a ticket to make changes to it, such as: rating a resolved or ignored ticket you requested or changing the status of a ticket assigned to you. Note that the ticket status will be visible to the requester.
In the top-right corner of the screen you can:
- Click the bell icon to view your notifications.
- Click your initials or image icon and then select Manage Your Account to access your account settings.
Download the UI applications
The UI desktop application and mobile app allow you and other workspace users to unlock connected doors and connect to corporate WiFi or VPN with a single click or tap.
Log in to the UID User Portal and go to the Download section to download the free UI web application and mobile app, available for iOS and Android.
Use the UI mobile app
Log in to your workspace on the UI mobile app to use its respective features and resources.
To unlock a workspace door:
- Tap on the door icon in the mobile app's Dashboard section, or
- Shake your mobile device, or
- Tap the mobile phone on the UniFi Access (UA) reader next to the door.
Note: You must enable your mobile device’s Bluetooth and Location Services to unlock doors via the mobile app. If disabled, the door icon on the mobile app will display a "No Doors Nearby" message and you won't be able to unlock the door via the mobile app.
To connect to your corporate WiFi or VPN, tap the WiFi or VPN icons. If you are having trouble connecting to the UID WiFi, see the suggestions in the Troubleshoot UID WiFi section below.
Use the UI desktop application
Begin by signing in to your workspace, by either:
- Entering your UID account email and password, or
- Scanning a QR code with your UI mobile app.
Note: Once logged in, the UI desktop application icon will appear at the top of the screen. Click it to open the application’s settings.
Click the WiFi icon to connect to the corporate WiFi network.
Note: You will need the UI desktop application and mobile app to complete this process.
1. Click the ellipse icon (...) in the bottom-right corner of the WiFi icon to obtain and copy the network’s password.
2. Log in to the UID User Portal and click the download button for Linux in the UI Desktop section.
3. Click Download to download the CA Certificate.
4. On Linux, click the WiFi icon on the desktop and select WiFi Settings.
5. Click the More button in the top-right corner and select Connect to Hidden Network.
6. Enter the UID WiFi SSID and select WPA & WPA2 Enterprise for WiFi Security.
7. Enter the username and password from the UI mobile app and click Connect.
Note: Once connected to WiFi, this menu will show current download and upload speeds.
Click the VPN icon to connect to the UID VPN.
- Go to https://portal.uid.alpha.ui.com/download/linux/vpn and log in to your workspace.
- Click Get Personal Password followed by Copy Password in the pop-up window.
- Click Download to download the VPN configuration file.
If you have installed OpenVPN, you can just click the downloaded configuration file and enter your account email and password to connect to the VPN.
Note: For more information on installing OpenVPN, refer to the following article.
Additionally, you can:
- Click Help Desk to open the UID User Portal's Help Desk section on your web browser.
- Click the Apps tab to access all applications available for your account.
- Click the Notifications tab to view your notifications.
Manage your notifications
Click the bell icon at the top-right corner of the UID Agent application or the UI mobile/desktop applications to see all your notifications.
By default, all activity notifications are enabled and can be changed by users. Once disabled, you will no longer receive any push notifications but will still be able to view them in the notifications list.
To manage what type of activities you want to be notified of:
- Log in to the UID Admin Portal.
- Click your avatar/initials icon > Manage Your Account > Notification Preference.
- Enable or disable the notifications' toggles up to your liking.
Open doors using UID Access
You can open doors with either the NFC card that an administrator assigned to you, or with your mobile phone via the UI mobile app.
Note: Door access methods (e.g., hand wave, mobile tap, NFC cards, etc.) are configured by site administrators. To verify which are enabled for your site, please check with your administrator.
To open a door with your phone or NFC card, place it in front of the UA Pro or UA Lite reader then wait for it to validate your data and grant access.
You can also call the door guard or site administrator from a UA Pro by holding the ring button until the call is placed. If accepted, a video call will commence. For additional video calling or UID Access assistance, please refer to the Troubleshooting UID Access section.
Troubleshooting UID account issues
I forgot my UID password.
If your workspace administrator has allowed users to reset their password, follow these steps:
- Open the UI web application or mobile app and click Need help signing in..
- Enter the email address associated with your account and choose whether you would like to reset your password via email or SMS.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
If a workspace admin has prohibited users from resetting their password, contact them and request that they reset your password.
I've been locked out of my account due to multiple incorrect login attempts.
If you've incorrectly entered your password too many times or exceeded your workspace's multi-factor authentication (MFA) limit, your account will be locked.
To resolve this, you can:
- Ask your workspace administrator to unlock your account.
- Wait for the auto-unlock time to elapse and try logging in again, if your workspace administrator has set up an auto-unlock time on the Password Policy page.
Click Unlock Account, enter the recovery code you receive via SMS or answer your security question, then follow the on-screen instructions, if your workspace administrator has allowed self-unlocking on the Password Policy page.
Troubleshoot UID VPN and UID WiFi issues
I can't connect to the UID VPN.
If you are unable to connect to the UID VPN, please submit feedback via the UI desktop application or mobile app to inform your workspace administrator. Depending on your platform, you can do this by:
- UI desktop application: Tapping on your account initials/image icon then selecting Feedback.
- UI mobile app: Clicking the settings icon then selecting Give Feedback.
I can't connect to the UID WiFi.
1. If you have recently been added to the UID site:
a. Verify that UID WiFi has been enabled for your site, either by checking with the administrator or a colleague that is able to connect to it.
b. Confirm with an administrator that you have been added to the list of authorized UID WiFi users.
2. Verify that your UI desktop application and mobile app are updated to their latest versions
3. Restart the device. If the issue persists, connect manually by following these steps:
a. Click the ellipse icon (...) in the WiFi tile of your UI mobile app, then select Personal WiFi Password. Jot down the network’s SSID name and your login credentials.
b. Enter the WiFi SSID, username, and password in your device’s network information:
If you are connecting to UID WiFi from a mobile device:
i. Open your device’s Settings > WLAN menu and select “Other…” from the bottom of the WiFi list.
ii. Enter the WiFi SSID into the Name field, select WPA2 Enterprise for Security, then enter your UID account credentials into the corresponding fields.
If you are connecting to UID WiFi from a desktop:
i. Open your network settings. On macOS, for example, go to the System Preferences > Networks menu, then select Join Other Network from the Network Name drop-down.
ii. Enter the WiFi SSID, select WPA2 Enterprise for Security, then enter your UID account credentials (as shown in Step 3.a) into the corresponding fields.
4. If you are still unable to join the UID WiFi network, disable the Auto-Join option on your computer or mobile device.
5. If you keep receiving a WiFi connection failed message, clear out the UI certificates and try connecting again. For example, on macOS, you would do so by going to the Applications > Keychain Access > Login > Certificates menu and deleting the UI Server Certificate and UI Certificate Authority.
6. If none of the steps above work, please contact a UID administrator.
Troubleshoot UID Access issues
The UI mobile app cannot find a nearby door.
- Go to the Mobile Unlock section of your user account to confirm that all required location and Bluetooth permissions have been enabled on your mobile device.
- Verify that you are within 20 meters of the door you are trying to open.
- Exit the UI app and reopen it.
- If your UI mobile app still cannot find the door, please contact your site administrator to verify if the door’s UA Pro or UA Lite reader has been updated to at least:
- UA Pro: Version 2.1.44
- UA Lite: Version 184.108.40.2065
I am unable to unlock a door with my UI mobile app running on an Android device.
- Make sure your Android device supports the NFC feature and has it enabled.
- Confirm that the UI mobile app’s location permission is set to Always allow, and that the app is running in the background.
- Make sure the device’s screen is unlocked when tapping your Android device to a reader. Some devices can only be used in HCE mode with an unlocked screen.
- The NFC modules of some Android phones may work in multiple modes, but the UI mobile app only supports HCE mode. You will not be able to open doors while in any other mode.
The call I placed through the UA Pro wasn’t answered.
Only door guards and site admins receive notifications when calls are placed through UA Pro readers. If your calls are not being answered, reach out to the door guard or site admin to verify whether or not they are receiving these notifications.