You can use roles to add users with limited permissions and allow access to specific devices managed by the UniFi Protect Controller.
Roles can be viewed by all users in the Web UI, but only the owner of the UniFi Protect controller can create new roles and alter access permissions.
In this article, you'll learn how to:
Define user roles
Click on the key icon in the left navigation bar of your UniFi Protect controller dashboard to open the Roles menu. Here, you can view and manage user roles.
There are two default user roles in your the UniFi Protect Controller:
- Administrators, who have view and edit access to all devices.
- View Only Users, who can only view the devices added on the controller.
You can edit the default roles and create your own personalized user roles with custom settings.
To create a new user role:
- Click Add Role in the upper-right corner of the Roles menu.
- Give the new role a name and choose access levels for each camera.
- Click Add Role to confirm the new role
Once added, the new user role will appear in the Roles list.
Grant user access
1. To add a new user, go to Users > Add Admin and select Add Admin from the drop-down menu.
Note that new accounts with view or edit access permissions are added as Admins.
2. Specify the user's settings and permissions
You can select one of the following roles:
- Super Admin, who has complete control of the controller and its devices.
- Limited Admin, who can access camera live views, Timelapses, recorded events, and camera settings.
You can select one of the following account types:
- Ubiquiti Account, which grants remote and local access to a verified Ubiquiti account.
- Local Access Only, which grants local access without the need for a verified Ubiquiti account.
In Controller Permissions, you can choose one of the default or custom roles.
3. Wait for the user to accept the invitation
The newly added user will receive an email invitation to access the UniFi Protect Controller.
After accepting the invitation, they will be able to log into the controller via https://unifi.ui.com, and will appear as a guest.
Deactivate user access
To deactivate a user account, go to the Users page and select Deactivate from the vertical ellipse drop-down menu. You can reactivate the account later or delete it entirely.
Deactivated users will be displayed as Deactivated in the user list and will not be able to log into the Protect controller.
Deleted users will disappear from the user list and will need a new invitation to be added back to the controller.