The UniFi Protect Controller manages every aspect of your UniFi Protect deployment - including configuring your cameras and devices, viewing live feeds, setting user roles and permissions, and more. It is required for Protect setups.
This article describes the process of setting up the UniFi Protect Controller on a UniFi Protect Network Video Recorder and connecting cameras to it.
- Before you begin
- Set up the UniFi Network Video Recorder
- Set up the UniFi Protect Controller
- Add and manage Protect cameras and other devices
- Update the UniFi Protect Controller
- Back up and restore UniFi Protect data
- Frequently asked questions
Before you begin
Before you begin with the Controller setup, make sure that:
- One or more compatible surveillance grade HDDs are inserted into the UNVR
- Your UNVR and Protect cameras are set up according to the Quick Start Guide
Set up the UniFi Network Video Recorder
For the purposes of this guide, setup for a UNVR is shown; however, the setup process for other Protect devices will be identical.
If you haven't set up your UNVR yet, follow the steps here before you set up the UniFi Protect Controller.
If you've already set up your UNVR, please head to the next section.
To set up a new UNVR through the Web UI:
- Use the UniFi Wifiman app (iOS / Android) Discovery feature to locate the device's IP address
- Enter the IP address on Google Chrome browser
1. Name your UNVR and log into your UI.com account, or create a new one
2. Specify the update schedule and configure Diagnostics settings
3. Review the changes and click Finish to finalize the setup process
Once the device has been updated to the latest firmware version, you will be redirected to the Protect controller home screen.
Set up the UniFi Protect Controller
1. Update the UniFi Protect application to the latest controller software version
Make sure your UNVR is running the latest version of UniFi Protect.
To do this, access your UNVR via unifi.ui.com and go to Settings > Applications. Click Check for Update and click Update if there is a new version available.
2. Wait for the controller to complete HDD formatting and RAID array forming
Please note that this process might take some time - you will see the status of this process in the Protect controller host devices settings under General section.
Once you've set up your Protect Controller, you can Go to Dashboard by clicking Protect on the UNVR's home screen and start managing your controller.
Use the UniFi Protect Controller
After completing the controller setup process, you can proceed with adopting the Protect devices and managing your controller.
For more information, see these articles:
Frequently asked questions
Can I install the UniFi Protect Controller on Windows, Linux or MacOS?
No, UniFi Protect is designed with the best software and hardware integration in mind, therefore the controller can't be installed independently.