The UniFi Protect mobile app lets you conveniently view camera streams, manage settings, and add new cameras or other devices to your UniFi Protect system.
This article explains the variety of features you can use on the UniFi Protect Controller.
For a step-by-step guide on setting up the UniFi Protect Controller, see UniFi Protect - Set up the UniFi Protect Controller.
- Install the UniFi Protect mobile app
- Mobile app overview
- View camera and controller activity
- Manage controller settings
- Manage camera settings
- View camera streams and manage recordings
- Transmit camera audio in both directions
- Manage camera recordings
Install the UniFi Protect mobile app
Mobile app overview
After opening the UniFi Protect app and logging in, you will see live views from all the cameras connected to your UniFi Protect system.
Click the ellipse icon in the upper-right corner of your screen to open the Options panel. Here, you can:
- Hide and show certain information about your cameras on the home screen.
- Add new devices.
To add new devices, location detection and Bluetooth must be enabled on your mobile device.
For more information about adopting Protect cameras and other devices, see UniFi Protect - Adopt devices.
Tap the menu icon in the upper-left corner of your screen on the upper left corner to access more settings.
Tap on your username to edit your user settings (e.g., manage your Ubiquiti account, grant app permissions, designate your primary mobile device, etc.).
There are four additional settings sections:
- Cameras is the default home screen that shows all your live camera feeds.
- Events displays recorded motion and Smart Detection events.
- Activity displays certain activities connected to the status of your controller or cameras.
- Settings lets you adjust general controller and account settings.
View camera and controller activity
The Activity section lets you see all activity alerts related to controller and camera statuses (e.g., offline, online, disconnected, reconnected).
Tap on the activity alert to see the particular device's video capture timeline at the moment when the alert was created.
The Events section will show all motion and Smart Detection recordings stored in your Protect controller. Clicking a recorded event will direct you to the moment in the camera's video timeline where the event was logged, and trigger its playback.
By default, the Events section will include all activity from all connected devices. However, for your convenience, it is possible to filter specific events in the upper-right corner of this section.
Manage controller settings
The Settings section lets you manage the following controller settings:
- Alerts - Enable and manage notifications for activity alerts.
- Account & Cloud - Enable or disable the Cloud controller access, which grants remote access to the Protect controller.
- Updates - Enable or disable automatic controller updates and check more details, (e.g., current version, most recent update, new version availability, etc.).
- Controller - Adjust general controller settings, such as geofencing, storage settings, and backups.
For more information on customizing alert settings, see UniFi Protect - Use the UniFi Protect Controller.
Manage camera settings
After tapping on a particular camera, tap the Settings icon (upper-right corner of the timelapse) to adjust individual camera settings.
You can edit all the same camera settings as you would on the Web UI, except for Smart Detection, which currently can only be enabled/disabled through the Web UI.
For more information on managing your camera settings, see UniFi Protect - Adopt and manage devices.
View camera streams and manage recordings
Tap on a camera to see its live feed and recording timeline.
You can scroll through the timelapse and see all recorded footage, depending on your recording settings.
Events of interest (i.e. Motion, Smart Detections, Camera alerts) are highlighted on the timelapse with an image or a description (e.g., camera disconnection, reconnection, etc.).
Tap on the image to playback the recorded event.
Transmit camera audio in both directions
You can transmit camera audio on the Protect mobile app in real-time and in both directions.
To transmit audio:
- Select the camera you want to use for communication.
- Tap the speaker icon to unmute the microphone and speak.
- Tap the speaker icon again after you've finished speaking to disable the mic.
Manage camera recordings
The menu icon in the lower-left corner of the video timeline lets you access additional actions, such as:
- Snapshot: Save the current on-screen image.
- Export clip: Select the length of a clip and download it.
- Delete clip: Select the length of a clip and delete it. The deleted timeline section will display the message: "Camera Footage Missing/Deleted by user".
- Insights: See more information about motion events viewed on the timeline.