The UniFi Protect mobile app lets you conveniently view camera streams, manage settings, and add new cameras or other devices to your UniFi Protect system.
This article explains the variety of features you can use on the UniFi Protect Controller.
For a step-by-step guide on setting up the UniFi Protect Controller, see UniFi Protect - Set up the UniFi Protect Controller.
- Install the UniFi Protect mobile app
- Mobile app overview
- View camera and controller activity
- Manage controller settings
- Manage camera settings
- View camera streams and manage recordings
- Transmit camera audio in both directions
- Manage camera recordings
Install the UniFi Protect mobile app
Mobile app overview
After opening the UniFi Protect app and logging in, you will see live views from all the cameras connected to your UniFi Protect system.
On the Options panel on the upper right corner (three dots), you can:
- hide/show certain information about your cameras on the Home screen
- add new devices
To add new devices, location detection and bluetooth must be enabled on your mobile device.
For more information about Protect camera and other device adoption, see UniFi Protect - Adopt and manage devices.
Tap the menu icon on the upper left corner to access more settings options.
Tap on your username to edit your user settings, i.e. manage your Ubiquiti account, grant permissions to the app, change primary mobile device, etc.
There are four additional settings sections:
- Cameras is the default home screen that shows all the camera live views
- Events displays recorded Motion and Smart Detection events
- Activity displays certain activity connected to the status of cameras and the controller
- Settings lets you adjust general controller and account settings
View camera and controller activity
The Activity section lets you see all activity alerts related to controller and camera status (offline / online / disconnected / reconnected).
Tap on the activity alert to see the particular device's timelapse at the time when the alert was created.
The Events section will contain recording of all Motion and Smart Detection for your Protect controller setup. If a recorded event is clicked, you will be redirected to that particular camera's timelapse, which will also trigger the playback of that recording.
By default, Events section will include all activity from all connected devices. However, for your convenience it is possible to filter specific Events in the upper-right corner of this section.
Manage controller settings
The Settings section lets you manage the following controller settings:
- Alerts - you can enable and manage notifications for activity alerts
- Account & Cloud - you can enable/disable the Cloud controller access which grants remote access to the Protect controller
- Updates - you can enable/disable automatic controller updates and check more details, i.e. current version, date last updated, new version available
- Controller - you can adjust general controller settings, i.e. geofencing, storage settings, backups)
For more information on customizing alerts settings, see UniFi Protect - Using the UniFi Protect Controller.
Manage camera settings
After tapping on a particular camera, tap the Settings icon (upper-right corner of the timelapse) to adjust individual camera settings.
You can edit all the same camera settings as on the Web UI, except for Smart Detection (currently can only be enabled/disabled through the Web UI).
See more information on UniFi Protect - Adopt and manage devices.
View camera streams and manage recordings
Tap on a camera to see its live view and timelapse.
You can scroll through the timelapse and see all recorded footage (which will vary depending on the recording settings).
Events of interest (Motion, Smart Detections, Camera alerts) are highlighted on the timelapse with an image or a description (if a camera disconnects/connects).
Tap on the image to view the event playback.
Transmit camera audio in both directions
You can transmit camera audio on the Protect mobile app in real time and in both directions.
To transmit audio:
- Select the camera you want to use for communication
- Tap the speaker icon to unmute the microphone and speak
- Tap the speaker icon again after you've finished speaking to disable the mic
Manage camera recordings
The menu icon (lower-left corner on the timelapse) lets you access additional actions.
- Snapshot to save the current image on the screen
- Export clip to select the length of the clip in the timelapse and download it
- Delete clip to select the length of the clip in the timelapse and delete it (it will show the "Camera Footage Missing / Deleted by user" on the timelapse)
- Insights to see more information about Motion events once they are viewed on the timelapse.