UniFi Protect is a camera security system designed for multi-camera deployments and video stream management for UniFi cameras and other security products.
UniFi Protect camera deployments can be managed remotely via the UniFi Protect Controller and using the Android and iOS mobile apps.
- UniFi Protect overview
- Setup requirements
- Setting up the UniFi Protect Controller and adding devices
- Using the UniFi Protect Controller
- Using the UniFi Protect mobile app
- Frequently asked questions
UniFi Protect overview
A UniFi Protect setup consists of a network video recorder, such as UniFi Dream Machine Pro, UNVR or Cloud Key Plus, and one or more UniFi cameras or security products.
Some of the cameras supported by UniFi Protect are:
- G4 Pro, the high-performance camera with support for 4K image quality recordings or High Frame rate feature (50 FPS)
- G3 Flex, a simpler camera supporting 1080p at 25FPS
- G4 Doorbell, which allows you to communicate with visitors via a two-way audio
- G4 Bullet, G4 Dome and others
For a complete comparison of different Protect cameras, see the UniFi Protect website.
To use UniFi Protect, you need one or more:
- Network video recorders (NVRs) (any of these):
- UniFi Protect cameras or other Protect products
- PoE power source, i.e. UniFi 24 port PoE switch
Although UniFi Protect supports G2 cameras and first generation airCams, they can not be upgraded to support new features, therefore we recommend using Protect with the G3 and newer models.
Setting up the UniFi Protect Controller and adding devices
To manage your UniFi Protect deployment, you need the UniFi Protect Controller set up and configured on one of the NVRs specified above.
After setting up the device according to the QSG and making sure it's running the latest version of Protect via Settings > Applications, set up the controller by clicking the Protect icon and following the steps on-screen.
Once the controller is set up, you need to adopt your UniFi Protect devices:
- Follow the device's Quick Start Guide for setup.
- Connect the device to your NVR.
- Launch the Protect Controller Web UI via unifi.ui.com or the mobile app in order to initiate device adoption.
If the camera is wired correctly, you will receive a pop-up informing you that a new device has been found and asking to add it to the controller.
Note that most of the current cameras use PoE, so you might need a switch to power your cameras.
Once the camera is successfully adopted, it will appear on the home screen of your mobile app or in the device list in the Web UI.
For more information about how to set up a Dream Machine Pro, see:
- UniFi - How to Set Up a Dream Machine Pro
Using the UniFi Protect Controller
The UniFi Protect Controller lets you:
- view, add and manage cameras and other Protect devices
- view camera streams and download recordings
- manage smart detections, motion detection, privacy zones and other Protect features
For a detailed overview of all controller features, see UniFi Protect - Using the UniFi Protect Controller.
Using the UniFi Protect mobile app
The UniFi Protect mobile app is a convenient way to manage your Protect camera deployment on the go.
For more information on the UniFi Protect mobile app, see UniFi Protect - Using the UniFi Protect mobile app.
Frequently asked questions
Where can I find information on the UniFi Video migration to UniFi Protect?
See more information on UniFi Protect - How to migrate from UniFi Video 3 to UniFi Protect.
What cameras are compatible with UniFi Protect?
UniFi Protect is compatible with all G2, G3, and G4 series cameras and doorbells manufactured by Ubiquiti, as well as G1 AirCams.
UniFI Protect is not compatible with cameras manufactured by third-party vendors.
How many cameras does UniFi Protect support?
UNVR and UDM-Pro can handle 50 cameras per controller.
There is no hard limit at the software level, but we recommend a conservative maximum of 20 cameras on a single Cloud Key Gen2 Plus with the UniFi Network Controller disabled. When running both UniFi Network and Protect controllers on the same Cloud Key Gen2 Plus, we recommend a maximum of 15 UniFi cameras and 50 UniFi Network devices.
How do I access UniFi Protect remotely, and do I need Internet connection?
You can access UniFi Protect remotely in a few different ways:
- via web browser at https://unifi.ui.com/ (https://protect.ui.com/ for older controller versions)
- using the UniFi Protect mobile apps for Android and iOS
The need for an Internet connection depends on the way you access Protect:
- you do need internet to access Protect via remote access
- you don't need internet to access Protect locally via IP (e.g. 192.168.1.1)
- you do need internet to establish the initial connection via the Protect mobile app; however, once it's done you can use the app to connect to Protect without Internet access
You can access UniFi Protect on local network by going straight to IP address. You can find the IP address of a UNVR via UniFi Network setup, OR you can find it by using WiFiman app (iOS / Android) while connected to local network which will identify all your devices.
Can I install the UniFi Protect Controller on Windows, Linux or MacOS?
No, Protect cannot be installed on third-party operating systems - our platform takes advantage of tight integration with our first-party hardware to deliver a superior experience to our end users.
Which ports does UniFi Protect use?
Generally, there is no need to forward any ports when accessing UniFi Protect via Cloud.
Click on the toggle below to see the list of ports used by UniFi Protect.
TCP Ports used by UniFi Protect