UniFi Protect is a camera and video management system designed to configure surveillance deployments that include multiple UniFi cameras and other security products.
- UniFi Protect overview
- Setup requirements
- Setting up the UniFi Protect Controller and adding devices
- Using the UniFi Protect Controller
- Using the UniFi Protect mobile app
- Frequently asked questions
UniFi Protect overview
An UniFi Protect setup consists of a network video recorder (NVR), such as the UniFi Dream Machine Pro (UDM-Pro), UNVR, or Cloud Key Plus (UCK-G2-PLUS), and one or more UniFi cameras or security products.
Some of the cameras supported by UniFi Protect include, but are not limited to, the:
For a complete comparison of all Protect-supported cameras, see the UniFi Protect website.
Note: UniFi Protect is not interoperable with any third-party equipment, including cameras, NVRs, and IR extenders.
To use UniFi Protect, you will need:
- A network video recorder (NVR)
- One or more UniFi Protect cameras or other Protect products
- A power-over-ethernet (PoE) source (e.g., UniFi 24 port PoE switch)
Note that most of the current cameras use PoE, so you might need a switch to power your cameras.
Although UniFi Protect supports G2 cameras, they cannot be upgraded to support new features (e.g., Smart Detection). Therefore we recommend using Protect with the G3 and newer models.
UniFi Protect does not support G1 airCams.
Setting up the UniFi Protect Controller and adding devices
After setting up your network video recorder according to its Quick Start Guide (QSG), and ensuring that it's running the latest version of Protect via Settings > Applications, set up the controller by clicking the Protect icon and following the on-screen instructions.
Once the controller is set up, you need to adopt your UniFi Protect devices. To do so:
- Follow the device's setup instructions in its QSG.
- Connect the device to your NVR.
- Launch the Protect Controller Web UI (unifi.ui.com) or the UniFi Protect app in order to initiate device adoption.
If your camera is wired correctly, you will receive a pop-up informing you that a new device has been found and a prompt to add it to the controller.
Once the camera is successfully adopted, it will appear on the home screen of your mobile app, or in the device list in the Web UI.
For more information about how to set up a Dream Machine Pro, see:
- UniFi - How to Set Up a Dream Machine Pro
- UniFi Protect - Set up the UniFi Protect Controller
- UniFi Protect - Adopt and manage devices
Using the UniFi Protect Controller
The UniFi Protect Controller lets you:
- View, add and manage cameras and other Protect devices
- View camera streams and download recordings
- Manage smart detections, motion detection, privacy zones, and other Protect features
For a detailed overview of all controller features, see UniFi Protect - Using the UniFi Protect Controller.
Using the UniFi Protect mobile app
The UniFi Protect mobile app is a convenient way to manage your Protect camera deployment(s) on the go.
For more information on the UniFi Protect mobile app, see UniFi Protect - Using the UniFi Protect mobile app.
Frequently asked questions
Where can I find information on the UniFi Video migration to UniFi Protect?
For more information, see UniFi Protect - How to migrate from UniFi Video 3 to UniFi Protect.
What cameras are compatible with UniFi Protect?
UniFi Protect is compatible with all G2, G3, and G4 series cameras and doorbells manufactured by Ubiquiti. G1 airCams are not supported.
UniFi Protect is not compatible with cameras manufactured by third-party vendors.
How many cameras does UniFi Protect support?
See our UniFi Protect - Supported camera limits by host device article for information on the supported camera limit per controller type.
Ubiquiti will be releasing a stackable UNVR feature that will allow users to use multiple UNVRs in the same controller instance and scale camera deployment size above current single hardware limits.
How do I access UniFi Protect remotely, and do I need an Internet connection?
You can remotely access UniFi Protect:
- via your web browser at unifi.ui.com (protect.ui.com for older controller versions)
- using the UniFi Protect mobile app for Android and iOS
The need for an Internet connection depends on the way you access Protect. Specifically:
- You do need an Internet connection to access Protect remotely.
- You don't need an Internet connection to access Protect locally via IP (e.g. 192.168.1.1).
- You will need an Internet connection initially to set up and configure the mobile app with your Protect installation; however, once configured, you can connect the mobile app directly without the Internet while in your local network.
You can access UniFi Protect on a local network by going straight to the NVR's IP address. You can find the IP address of a UNVR via the UniFi Network setup, or you can find it by using the WiFiman app (iOS / Android) while connected to the local network.
Can I install the UniFi Protect Controller on Windows, Linux, or macOS?
No, Protect cannot be installed on third-party operating systems. Our platform takes advantage of tight integration with our first-party hardware to deliver a superior experience to our end users.