The UniFi Dream Machine (UDM) is an all-in-one enterprise-grade router and security gateway with an integrated Wi-Fi access point.
This article describes how to set up the UniFi Dream Machine for the first time and how to fix common internet connectivity issues.
- How UDM connects to your devices
- Set up the UniFi Dream Machine
- Manage your UniFi Dream Machine setup
- Troubleshooting and advanced setup
How UDM connects to your devices
This is a typical connection layout for a UniFi Dream Machine setup without any additional UniFi Network devices, i.e. UniFi Access Points.
You can combine UniFi and third party networking devices, but a full UniFi topology managed by the UniFi Network Controller gets you centralized network management with all of the advanced UniFi features.
Set up the UniFi Dream Machine
Before you begin the setup process, make sure to connect the UDM according to the Quick Start Guide and wait for the device to boot.
The UDM comes with the UniFi Network Controller software to manage your network, that you can set up in two different ways:
Use the UniFi Network mobile app for setup
To set up the UDM using the UniFi Network mobile app:
- enable Bluetooth on your mobile device
- install the UniFi Network app (App Store / Google Play) and enable the necessary permissions
- make sure your mobile device is within 1.5m / 5ft of the UDM
1. Start the UniFi Network mobile app and wait for the UDM to be discovered
2. Name your UDM and log into your UI.com account, or create a new one
If your UDM isn't discovered, disable and re-enable Bluetooth and try reinstalling the UniFi Network app to try the setup process again.
If you see a "No Internet Detected" message, disable and re-enable Bluetooth, reinstall the UniFi Network app, and click Try again.
3. Specify the update schedule, create a Wi-Fi network and configure Auto-Optimize and Diagnostics
4. Wait for the speed test to complete
After the test completes, you can adjust the download and upload speeds as needed.
5. Review your setup changes and click Finish to finalize the setup process
6. Connect to your newly created Wi-Fi Network after the setup is completed
Once you've connected to your Wi-Fi network, you can Go to Dashboard and start managing your device.
If you can't connect to your Wi-Fi network, see the Troubleshooting section.
Use the Web UI for setup
To be able to set up the UDM using Web UI, connect to the UDM by:
- connecting your computer directly to one of the RJ45 LAN ports (port 1-4) on the UDM
- connecting to the UDM's Wi-Fi network, e.g. "UDM Setup XXXX" (where XXXX are the last four symbols of the device’s MAC address found on the bottom of the device)
It is normal to see a certificate warning at this point of the setup - just proceed further and accept changes in certificate if prompted.
If you can't load the addresses above, make sure you are connected to the UDM either via LAN or Wi-Fi.
The step-by-step configuration and setup process on the Web UI will be similar to the UniFi Network mobile app steps above.
Manage your UniFi Dream Machine setup
You will use the UniFi Network Controller to manage your UDM network or add additional UniFi devices to your setup.
For more information, see:
Troubleshooting and advanced setup
I see a "No Internet Detected" message during setup
The "No Internet Detected" message during setup can be caused by a few different reasons:
- The modem/router provided by your ISP is not set to bridged mode
- The DHCP lease provided by your ISP is still assigned to the previously connected modem/router
- The ISP has locked internet access to the previously connected device or router
- The ISP connection type does not match the settings configured on the Dream Machine
- The ISP requires a VLAN to be configured on the WAN interface
To address the issue, try the following steps:
- Make sure the modem/router provided by your ISP is set to bridged mode.
- Contact your ISP to find out if they use a custom connection type, e.g. PPPoE or static IP assignments instead of DHCP. If that's the case, see the next section for applying custom settings for PPPoE or static IP assignment connection types.
- Reset the ISP modem/router and retry the UDM setup
If this doesn't help, please reach out to your ISP for assistance as there might be an issue with your internet connectivity unrelated to the UDM.
Apply custom settings for PPPoE or static IP assignment connection type
If your ISP uses a different connection type, i.e. PPPoE or static IP assignments instead of DHCP, you might see a "No Internet Detected" message during the UDM setup process.
To apply custom connection settings during setup (Web UI or mobile app):
- Select Advanced Internet Options during the UDM setup process
- Select the right Connection Type from the dropdown list provided by your ISP.
- Fill in the rest of the fields with the information provided by your ISP and click Apply