UniFi Dream Machine Pro (UDM-Pro) is an all-in-one enterprise-grade router and security gateway with the ability to manage your UniFi network, camera security, access networks and VoIP by hosting the UniFi Network, Protect, Access and Talk (Beta) applications.
This article describes how to set up a UniFi Dream Machine Pro for the first time and how to troubleshoot and fix common internet connectivity issues.
If you need to set up UniFi Dream Machine, please see UniFi - Set up UniFi Dream Machine.
- How UDM-Pro connects to your devices
- Set up the UniFi Dream Machine Pro
- Manage your UniFi Dream Machine setup
- Troubleshooting and advanced setup
How UDM-Pro connects to your devices
You can mix UniFi and third party networking devices, but a full UniFi topology managed by the UniFi Network application gets you centralized network management with all of the advanced UniFi features.
A UniFi Dream Machine Pro system, with both UniFi Network and UniFi Protect, might look like this if you want to power your cameras and access points via PoE:
Set up the UniFi Dream Machine Pro
Before you begin the setup process, make sure to connect the UDM-Pro according to the Quick Start Guide and wait for the device to boot.
The UDM-Pro comes with the UniFi Network software to manage your network, that you can set up in two different ways:
- using the UniFi Network mobile app (recommended)
- using the Web UI
Use the UniFi Network mobile app for setup
To set the UDM-Pro using the UniFi Network app:
- enable Bluetooth on your mobile device
- install the UniFi Network app (App Store / Google Play) and enable the necessary permissions
- make sure your mobile device is within 1.5m / 5ft of the UDM-Pro
2. Name your UDM-Pro and log into your UI.com account, or create a new one
If your UDM-Pro isn't discovered, disable and re-enable Bluetooth and try reinstalling the UniFi Network app to try the setup process again.
If you see a "No Internet Detected" message, disable and re-enable Bluetooth, reinstall the UniFi Network app, and click Try again.
4. Wait for the speed test to complete
After the test completes, you can adjust the download and upload speeds as needed.
5. Review your setup changes and click Finish to finalize the setup process
6. Connect to your Wi-Fi Network after the setup is completed
Once you've connected to your Wi-Fi network, you can Go to Dashboard and start managing your device.
If you can't connect to your Wi-Fi network, see the Troubleshooting section.
Use the Web UI for setup
To set up the UDM-Pro using the Web UI:
- Connect your computer's LAN port directly to one of the RJ45 LAN ports (port 1-4) on the UDM-Pro.
- Visit https://setup.ui.com or https://192.168.1.1 in your browser (we recommend using Google Chrome).
Note: It is normal to see a certificate warning at this point of the setup - just proceed further and accept changes in certificate if prompted.
If you can't load the addresses above, make sure you are connected to the UDM-Pro via LAN.
- The step-by-step configuration and setup process on the Web UI will be similar to the UniFi Network mobile app steps above.
Manage your UniFi Dream Machine Pro setup
You will use UniFi Network to manage your UDM-Pro network or add additional UniFi devices to your setup.
For more information, see:
Troubleshooting and advanced setup
I see a "No Internet Detected" message during setup
The "No Internet Detected" message during setup can be caused by a few different reasons:
- The modem/router provided by your ISP is not set to bridged mode
- The DHCP lease provided by your ISP is still assigned to the previously connected modem/router
- The ISP has locked internet access to the previously connected device or router
- The ISP connection type does not match the settings configured on the Dream Machine
- The ISP requires a VLAN to be configured on the WAN interface
To address the issue, try the following steps:
- Make sure the modem/router provided by your ISP is set to bridged mode.
- Contact your ISP to find out if they use a custom connection type, e.g. PPPoE or static IP assignments instead of DHCP. If that's the case, see section for applying custom settings for PPPoE or static IP assignment connection types.
- Reset the ISP modem/router and retry the UDM-Pro setup
If this doesn't help, please reach out to your ISP for assistance as there might be an issue with your internet connectivity unrelated to the UDM-Pro.
Apply custom settings for PPPoE or static IP assignment connection type
If your ISP uses a different connection type, i.e. PPPoE or static IP assignments instead of DHCP, you might see a "No Internet Detected" message during the UDM-Pro setup process.
To apply custom connection settings during setup (Web UI or mobile app):
- Select Advanced Internet Options during the UDM-Pro setup process
- Select the right Connection Type from the dropdown list provided by your ISP.
- Fill in the rest of the fields with the information provided by your ISP and click Apply