This article explains how to set up a new UniFi Network Controller, or connect an existing one to the UniFi Network mobile app. After the mobile app accesses and connects with a UniFi Controller, its interface will mirror the web UI of the Controller with sections such as: Dashboard, Devices, Clients and Statistics. Within the More tab you'll find: Insights, Maps, Events, Alerts, Hotspot Manager, and Settings as would be seen in the UniFi Web Controller. Find information on how to configure these settings using the webUI articles in the help center or referring to the UniFi User Guide.
Table of Contents
- How to Set Up a New Controller on a UniFi Host Device
- How to Add a Configured Controller to the Mobile App
- Related Articles
How to Set Up a New Controller on a UniFi Host Device
UniFi Host devices that run the UniFi Network Controller such as a UniFi Cloud Key or UniFi Dream Machine, require initial setup before being ready for use. Those devices will show up after tapping on the “+” button in the Controllers screen. Find the device you want to set up and tap on “Set up this controller” / "Set Up". You will then be presented with a wizard. Simply follow the instructions to set up your device.
How to Add a Configured Controller to the Mobile App
If the Controller has already been set up and is running on the web interface, then it only needs to be connected to the mobile app in order to manage it.
Adding a Controller via the Cloud
This is the recommended method of adding a controller, to easily access and manage it from anywhere in the world without the need of a public IP, or having to open ports.
1. In the mobile app, go to Account, then tap on Log In and log in using your Ubiquiti SSO account.
2. After logging in, all controllers owned by that SSO account which have remote access enabled will be displayed in the Controllers section.
Adding a Controller via Direct Access
A custom connection to the controller that doesn't use the cloud portal can also be set up. This may come in handy if your controller doesn’t have internet access, or if you are facing any issues. The mobile running the app must be connected to the same network as the host of the UniFi Network Controller for this connection without remote access to work.
To add a direct access connection:
1. In Controllers, tap on the “+” button, then tap on “Log in to existing controller”.
2. Fill in the IP address, port, and credentials, and tap on “Log in”. After a successful login, the connection will be saved and be later accessible from the Controllers screen.
See the articles below to learn next steps, like adopting a device or configurations available in Controller mode.