Readers will learn how UFiber networks can integrate with the Ubiquiti ISP Network and Business Management (UISP) in order to monitor and manage many different devices at once.
- Applicable to the v4.0.0+ firmware on the UFiber OLT and ONU models.
- More information on the Ubiquiti ISP (UISP) Network and Business Management software can be found on the UISP website.
Introduction and Network Diagram
The UFiber GPON equipment is designed to provide robust hardware that is ease to deploy and manage. In the example setup below, a UFiber OLT (UF-OLT or UF-OLT-4) is used as the core of the GPON network, connecting the PON side to the rest of the routing and switching domain. The SFP+ uplink port(s) are used to connect UFiber GPON network to the rest of the routing and switching domain. On the uplink side, we use a high capacity router (ER-8-XG) and switch (ES-16-XG), connected to the OLT using 10Gbps SFP+ fiber modules or DAC cables.
On the PON side, we insert a GPON OLT SFP module (UF-GP-B+ / UF-GP-C+) into the OLT, supporting up to 128 UFiber ONUs (UF-Nano / UF-LOCO / UF-WIFI / UF-Instant) per PON port when using PLC splitters. Each ONU connects a client site (for example a home or business) to the PON network.
Finally, the entire Ubiquiti network consisting of EdgeRouters, EdgeSwitches and UFiber OLT/ONUs is managed through the Ubiquiti Network Management System (UISP). In this example, the free UISP Cloud (formerly UNMS Cloud) service is used to manage the network, but it is also possible to install UISP on your own self-hosted server or the UISP Console.
Example network consisting of various EdgeMAX and UFiber devices that is managed through the UISP Cloud service.
UISP Integration Options
Connecting the UFiber OLT to UISP will provide you with many different configuration options and monitoring services. For most tasks, it is no longer necessary to directly log into the Web UI of the OLT. Instead, you can use UISP to change the configuration or view the logs of each individual OLT and ONU.
Some of the available features that are provided by UISP are:
- Extensive, long-term statistics for each individual device.
- Latency, outage and device statistics (CPU, RAM, temperature) tracking.
- Traffic amounts (Rx and Tx) for PON ports and the uplink SFP+ port(s).
- Signal strength of connected ONUs.
- Various ONU and OLT configuration options.
- Assign ONUs to (client) sites and obtain an overview of your network through the topology view.
All of these features will become available by simply connecting the OLT to the UISP server. It is not necessary to connect each individual ONU to UISP. See the section below.
Connecting the OLT to UISP
After logging into the OLT, it is recommended to upgrade the firmware to the latest stable UFiber release. The latest UFiber OLT firmware can be downloaded from the UFiber Downloads page. Use either of the two options below, depending on the firmware version that is currently active on the OLT:
If the OLT is running a newer firmware release (v4.0.0 or newer), follow the steps below to upgrade the firmware:
1. Navigate to the System settings tab.
2. Select the Firmware upgrade button in the System actions section and browse your filesystem for the firmware release you wish to upload.
3. Wait for the firmware to be uploaded to the OLT.
4. Reboot the device when prompted.
5. Wait for the firmware upgrade process to complete.
If the OLT is running an older firmware release (v3.1.3 or older), follow the steps below to upgrade the firmware:
1. Navigate to the System settings in the bottom left corner of the Web UI.
System > Upgrade System Image > Upload a file...
2. Select Upload a file and browse your filesystem for the UFiber firmware release you wish to upload.
3. Wait for the firmware upgrade to complete.
4. Reboot the device when prompted.
After the firmware has been upgraded to the latest (v4.0.0+) release, follow the steps below:
1. click on the UISP button in the top-right corner of the Web UI.
2. Either manually paste in the UISP key or use the Add to UISP Cloud option.
3. The OLT will automatically connect to UISP.
4. Access the UISP server and navigate to the Devices tab to assign the OLT to a site.
Configuring the ONUs and OLT using UISP
The UFiber OLT and ONUs can be directly configured from UISP. It is possible to add VLANs to the uplink SFP+ port for example, or change the network mode (bridge / router) for the ONU.
To configure the UFiber OLT, navigate to the Devices tab and select the OLT. This allows you to configure various options, such as:
- PON and SFP interfaces (including VLANs).
- Management interface and IP address.
- System configuration options such as Client Isolation and IGMP Snooping.
- Active services such as NTP and SNMP.
- Access the Terminal to run CLI commands.
To configure the UFiber ONUs, navigate to the Devices tab, select the OLT and then navigate to the ONU list tab. This allows you to configure various options, such as:
- ONU network mode (bridge or router).
- Network settings, including bandwidth limitations and VLANs.
- Active services such as SSH and Telnet.
- Port negotiation options.
- Router mode settings such as DHCP, UPnP and Port Forwarding.
- Bridge mode settings such as tagged and untagged VLANs.
- Wireless network settings for the UF-WIFI ONU.