Readers will learn how to use and explore different use cases for deploying the UFiber Instant SFP ONU (UF-Instant). The UF-Instant is a high-performance GPON CPE in an SFP package that is compatible with various Ubiquiti devices that support SFP/SFP+ ports.
- Applicable to the latest UFiber firmware releases on the UFiber OLT (UF-OLT) and UFiber OLT-4 (UF-OLT-4) models.
- The UFiber Instant ONU is supported in the OLT configuration starting from the v4.1.0-beta.3 OLT beta firmware release.
- More information on the Ubiquiti Network Management System can be found on the UNMS website.
Table of Contents
Compatible and Supported Ubiquiti Devices
See the tables below for the devices that the UF-Instant is compatible with and the recommended minimum firmware version for those models.
Routing & Switching
See the EdgeMAX model comparison pages below for more information on these devices:
Routing & Switching
See the UniFi Routing & Switching documentation in the Downloads section for more information on these devices.
Other Ubiquiti Devices
|UF-AE||Requires 802.3af Active PoE input|
Using the UFiber Instant ONU
The UFiber Instant (UF-Instant) is compatible with several different Ubiquiti devices that use SFP/SFP+ ports. See the section above for the complete compatibility list and recommended firmware versions.
In this article, we have included a possible deployment scenarios where the UF-Instant is inserted into an EdgeRouter 4 (ER-4), allowing for GPON connectivity supported up to a maximum of 20km. The UF-Instant supports Bridge mode and multiple VLANs just like our other ONUs (UF-WIFI / UF-Nano / UF-LOCO).
Deployment scenario where the UF-Instant is inserted into the SFP slot (Eth3) on the EdgeRouter 4 (ER-4).
In the deployment scenario above, the UF-Instant ONU connects to the UFiber OLT 4 (UF-OLT-4) using several different UFiber accessories such as PLC splitters, SC/UPC to SC/APC feeder fiber cables and SC/APC to SC/APC drop fiber cables.
The UF-Instant is inserted into the EdgeRouter 4 (ER-4) like any other SFP/SFP+ module, providing a Layer 2 connection to the device over which VLANs can optionally be tagged. After inserting the module into the device, verify that it has been successfully detected and negotiated at the appropriate speed/duplex values. The following UFiber help center articles have more information on setting up the UFiber GPON network:
- UFiber GPON - Initial Configuration
- UFiber GPON - Getting Started
- UFiber GPON - Fiber Connectors and Splicing
- UFiber GPON - Designing a GPON Network
- UFiber GPON - Triple-Play Services Using VLANs