Readers will learn how to enable the Inband Management feature in order to manage and monitor the UFiber OLTs from the SFP+ uplink port(s).
Using the Inband Management Feature
By default, the UFiber OLTs are managed through the dedicated management port. Administrators can choose to enable the Inband Management feature, which allows the management IP address to become reachable over a VLAN on the SFP+ uplink port.
Example scenario for managing the UFiber OLT through the SFP+ uplink port using VLAN1.
Follow the steps below to enable the Inband Management feature using the OLT Web UI:
By default, the SFP+ uplink port is configured with VLAN1 set as the native VLAN. The native VLAN can optionally be changed or omitted completely. The SFP+ uplink port can also be configured to tag multiple VLANs, in essence creating a trunk/tagged port.
1. Navigate to the VLANs tab and verify that the necessary VLANs are either
Tagged (T) or
Untagged (U) on the SFP+ uplink port(s).
2. If needed, add the necessary VLANs and set them as
Tagged (T) or
VLANs > Add VLAN
Type: Single | Range
VLAN ID: <id>
3. Apply the changes by clicking on the SAVE button.
4. Navigate to the System settings tab to enable the Inband Management feature.
5. Check the Enable management on SFP+ port option and define the VLAN.
Enable management on SFP+ port: Checked
VLAN ID: 1
6. Save the changes.
To enable Inband Management feature using the Ubiquiti Network Management System (UNMS), follow the steps below:
1. Navigate to the Devices and select the UFiber OLT.
2. Select Ports and modify the configuration of the SFP+ port(s).
Ports > SFP+1 > Configuration
Native VLAN: 1
3. Select Settings and enable the Inband Management feature in the System section.
Settings > System > Inband management
Access from SFP+ port(s): Checked
4. Save the changes.