Readers will learn how to properly format and sanitize EdgeSwitch (ES) and EdgeSwitch X (ES-X) configurations to remove all personal and sensitive information.
Table of Contents
- Downloading the Configuration
- Sanitizing the Configuration
- Posting the Configuration on the Community
- Related Articles
Downloading the Configuration
The first step is to download the backup archive using the Web UI.
1. Navigate to the Settings to download the backup archive.
Settings > System actions > Backup
2. Download the archive file by clicking on the Backup button.
3. The EdgeSwitch will prompt you to save the configuration to your computer.
4. Open the hostname.tar.gz archive using a file archival program such as 7-Zip.
5. Extract the backup-cfg file from the archive.
Sanitizing the Configuration
Now we can modify the contents of the config.boot file in order to sanitize (obscure) any sensitive information. Some examples are:
Public IP addresses
UNMS connection info
Custom banner message
1. Open the cfg-backup file using a text editor.
2. Look for any sensitive information to obscure.
3. Save the edited cfg-backup file.
Posting the Configuration on the Community
1. Select a blank line and click on the icon in the toolbar, converting the line into a
2. Paste the configuration into the code block, and submit.
code blockprior to pasting in the configuration. Reversing the order (pasting the configuration before converting the text to a code block) may affect the line spacing which causes the output to be misaligned.