Router Mode allows the ONU to route and translate client traffic using NAT.
- UISP Fiber OLT.
- UISP Fiber ONU.
Enabling Router Mode
The ONU can be changed to Router Mode through UISP or through the ONU List section on the OLT's local web interface. The default mode for ONUs is Bridge Mode.
Changing to Router Mode several routing options on the ONU, such as:
- Network Address Translation (NAT)
- DHCP Server and Relay
- WAN connectivity options (DHCP, PPPoE, Static)
- Port Forwarding and UPnP
Should I use Router or Bridge Mode?
The usage of Router or Bridge Mode depends on the type of setup and deployment:
Bridge Mode ONU and Additional Router
With this setup, a gateway such as the UDR is located inside while the ONU in Bridge Mode is installed outside. The advantages of this setup are:
- Easier maintenance of the outdoor ONU. Fiber is terminated outside instead of inside.
- Different model gateways can be used depending on the requirement.
- Access to additional wireless, routing and security features provided by the indoor gateway.
Router Mode ONU
With this setup, the ONU in Router Mode is installed inside. The advantages of this setup are:
- Only a single device is installed per location.
- If wireless is needed, an all-in-one ONU such as the UF-WiFi6 can be used.