Users will learn how to configure the UniFi Network application to send email using a free Gmail account and the Gmail Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) Server when no other suitable SMTP server is available and UniFi Cloud will not be used. This is needed for the Forgot Password? email to be sent.
- Gmail is used for this work instruction, but other mail service providers can be used as long as the SMTP, port and username/password is known.
- These settings in the UniFi Network application are only available to users with Super Administrator role. Read about user roles in our UniFi - Manage users and user roles article.
- Configuration of SMTP can only be performed when locally connected to the UniFi Network application only, and not when connected remotely.
Table of Contents
The UniFi Network application relies on email to serve Forgot Password requests, invite administrators, and communicate device alerts.
If UniFi Cloud Access is enabled, the application will automatically make use of the cloud services to send admin invitations (only). This will happen when "Enable Cloud Access" or "Invite to SDN" is checked on the admin invite itself. You still need to configure the SMTP settings for the application to send most email messages (local account recovery and email alerts), and also to send admin invites without choosing "Enable Cloud Access" or "Invite to SDN".
If UniFi Cloud Access will not be enabled, it is important that an SMTP server is configured to facilitate all email delivery services: Forgot Password requests, email alerts and admin invites.
Steps: How to Set Up Gmail as SMTP Server
Step 1: Create a Gmail Account
Create a new Gmail Account, or use an existing one. Keep in mind emails sent by UniFi Network will appear to come from this email account.
Take note of the account credentials (email address and password).
You may also use a Google Apps account, as long as the Google Apps Domain Administrator has not disabled SMTP support. For more information on Google Apps SMTP Support, see https://support.google.com/a/answer/176600?hl=en
Step 2: Enable SMTP Server Support
In the UniFi Network application, navigate to System Settings > Controller Configuration > Mail Server > SMTP Server and enable Mail Server.
Step 3: Configure SMTP Settings
Configure the Mail Server section as follows:
Port: 465 or 587
Enable SSL: Checked
Enable authentication: Checked
Username: Enter the full Gmail email address from Step 1 (including @gmail.com or @your_domain.com)
Password: Enter the account password from Step 1
Specify sender address: Unchecked
Testing & Verification
Enter a valid email address that you have access to in the text box labeled “Send test email to” and click Send. You should see a success message at the top-right corner of the browser screen, and within a few minutes, you should receive a test email confirming the email was sent successfully.
Google may block sign-in attempts from some apps or devices, in which case you would receive an email stating that a sign-in attempt was blocked. If you receive this error or are having trouble with the Google side of things, there are a few things you can try:
1. Follow this work instruction to fix the "sign-in blocked" issue. It is important to note that if your Google account has 2FA verification enabled, it will not allow you to implement this fix.
2. If you wish to use 2FA with your Google account, a possible solution will be to create and use an App password. Please see Google's work instruction on the subject.