Readers will learn how to access the root user shell and how to allow root login over SSH.
Root User Privileges
The password on the root user account is not defined by default. This is a security precaution that prevents the root account from being used to log into the device (Web UI, CLI) using password-based authentication.
It is possible to access the root user shell to browse or modify the linux subsystem. Follow the steps below to elevate the prompt:
1. Log in using a previously created admin account.
2. Use the sudo command to elevate the privileges or invoke a root user shell.
ubnt@edgerouter:~$ sudo su
3. Use the exit command to return to the EdgeOS operational mode prompt.
If necessary in your environment, follow the steps below to set the root user password.
1. Enter configuration mode.
2. Set the root user account password.
set system login user root authentication plaintext-password <password>
3. Allow the root user to login via SSH.
set service ssh allow-root
4. Commit the changes and save the configuration.
commit ; save