This article outlines key setup and configuration processes that can be completed in the UniFi Talk application.
- Create users
- Assign phones to users
- Assign phone numbers to users
- Add a SIP provider
- Set up a Smart Attendant
- Manage voicemails and call recordings
- View call logs
- Set up call groups
- Purchase and port phone numbers
To create new users in the UniFi Talk application:
- Open the Users tab and click the Add User button in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Type the user's first name, last name, and extension in the respective text fields. If you do not assign an extension, the UniFi Talk application will do so automatically.
- Select the user's phone number from the drop-down menu and click Save. If no phone number is selected, the user will only be able to make internal calls unless they are assigned to a call group with an active Talk subscription.
Assign phones to users
A user must be assigned to each phone managed by the UniFi Talk application. You can assign a phone to a user on the Devices page or in the user's profile panel.
To assign a phone to a user on the Devices page:
- Click on the Devices icon in the left navigation bar.
- Hover your cursor over the phone you'd like to assign to the user, then click the Assign link when it appears.
- Select the user from the pop-up window's drop-down field, then click Assign.
Assign a phone to a user via their profile panel:
- Click on the Users icon in the left navigation bar.
- Hover your cursor over the user, then click the Edit link.
- Select the phone that you'd like to assign to the user from the Reassign Device drop-down field.
- Click Save at the bottom of the panel.
Assign phone numbers to users
If you wish to purchase additional phone numbers in the UniFi Talk application before you start assigning, see UniFi Talk - Manage UniFi Talk subscriptions.
To assign a phone number to a user:
- Click the Numbers icon in the left navigation bar to see a listing of all the phone numbers in your Talk application.
- Hover your cursor over the number you would like to assign, then click Assign.
- Select the user and device that you'd like to pair with the number from the respective drop-down fields. If you reassign a number already in use, the UniFi Talk application will remove the number from the previous assignee and give it to the new one.
- Click Confirm.
Note: Users without phone numbers will not be able to make external calls, but will still have an active extension that can make and receive unlimited internal calls.
Add a SIP provider
Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) providers facilitate real-time video and voice communication (e.g., Twilio, Voxbone, 3CX, etc.). If you currently subscribe to a third-party SIP provider, you don't have to purchase a UniFi Talk subscription to use your existing service in the UniFi Talk application.
To add a SIP provider to your UniFi Talk application:
- Create and configure a new trunk in your SIP provider's settings console:
- Create a credential list and assign username and password credentials to the trunk itself.
- Add an ACL IP and a new entry for your router's public IP address (e.g., 184.108.40.206/32).
- Add an origination uri in the same format as your router's public IP address (e.g., sip:220.127.116.11:6767).
- Ensure that the Direct Inward Dialing (DID) number(s) you want to use with UniFi Talk are assigned to the newly created trunk.
- Add your SIP provider's information to the UniFi Talk application:
- Open the Settings menu and click the SIP Setup tab.
- Click the Add Additional SIP Provider button at the bottom of the screen.
- Enter your provider's name.
- Enter your SIP provider's required fields:
- Locate your SIP provider's custom fields by referencing either the Providers ITSPs directory or your provider's user documentation.
- Click the Add Field button in the UniFi Talk Settings menu.
- Type or paste the copied field into the Add Fields window and click the + icon. Repeat this process for multiple entries.
- Click Done once all fields have been added.
- Type the DID number(s) from your SIP provider in the Input Phone Numbers field(s) in either E.164 format (e.g., +10123456789) or the format supported by your provider.
- Add your SIP provider's media and signaling servers:
- Click the Add IP Address Range button.
- Type the address information in the corresponding fields and click Add.
- Enable the Static Signaling Port toggle located in the Network tab of the UniFi Talk Settings menu.
- Assign the new DID number(s) and phone(s) to users registered in your UniFi Talk application:
- Open the Users page of your UniFi Talk application.
- Click the desired user then click the Manage tab at the top of their profile panel.
- Select the phone that you'd like to assign the user from the Reassign Device drop-down menu.
- Select the DID number that you'd like to assign the user from the Change Phone Number drop-down menu.
- Repeat this process as needed for additional users.
Note: If you're using a third-party SIP provider, said provider will be responsible for maintaining E911 compliance. Please contact your provider for more guidance on how to ensure that all requirements are met.
- Add or adjust port forwarding rule(s) for the controller hosting the UniFi Talk application:
- Open the UniFi Network Settings menu and click the Advanced Features tab.
- Click the Advanced Gateway Settings tab at the bottom of the page.
- Click the Create New Port Forwarding button.
- Add all required information to apply the port forwarding rule(s) to your controller.
If you have another router upstream from your controller, forward incoming traffic to Port 6767 of your controller.
Set up a Smart Attendant
The Smart Attendant helps you create and execute custom call routing to ensure that all your calls are directed to the right extension or preferred language speaker.
To set up a Smart Attendant:
- Open the Smart Attendant tab in the UniFi Talk application.
- Name your Smart Attendant and click Next.
- Select the phone number you want the Smart Attendant to answer from the drop-down field and click Next.
- Create or select a greeting message:
- Type a custom message and click the play button to play it back to hear it; or
- Click Next to retain the default message.
- Create your call routing tree:
- Enter the prompt message and select the user(s) and/or group(s) that each keypress will direct to.
- If you don't need a call routing tree, click No then Finish.
To add a new menu or user:
- Hover your cursor over the menu that you'd like to add a new block to and click the + icon when it appears.
- Choose between the two different types of blocks:
- Prompt for Key Press (e.g., Press 1 for Sales)
- Ring Device(s) (Dial a specific user or group)
To delete a menu or user, hover your cursor over the menu that you'd like to delete and click the X icon when it appears.
Manage voicemails and call recordings
The UniFi Talk application collects voicemail by default. To listen to voicemails, click the Voicemail button on your Talk phone.
To automate call recordings:
- Enable the Automatic Call Recording toggle.
- Review the disclaimer text in the pop-up advisory window carefully, and click I Understand if you consent.
To disable the voicemail inbox:
- Open the Settings menu and click the Call Recording and Voicemail tab.
- Disable the voicemail toggle.
View call logs
To view your call logs:
- Open the Call Log tab to view a listing of every call made with a device managed by the UniFi Talk application.
- View the details of a specific call:
- Click the desired call's entry or hover your cursor over its listing and click the View link when it appears.
- Review basic call information (e.g., caller, recipient, call experience score, length, date, and time) from the General section of the call log's pop-up panel.
- Click the Recording tab at the top of the call log's panel to listen to its recording.
- To delete a call log, hover your cursor over the log's entry and click Delete, then click the Delete button in the confirmation pop-up window.
Set up call groups
The UniFi Talk application allows you to create call groups that allow multiple phones to share the same subscription and ring. Call groups can utilize all UniFi Talk application features, including the Smart Attendant.
To create a new call group:
- Click the Groups icon in the left navigation bar and click the Create New Group link in the top-right corner of the following page.
- Enter a group name, assign a phone number to the group, and add an internal extension (optional).
- Add user(s) to the group and click Create.
When this number is called, all phones assigned to the call group will ring. The first phone to answer will receive the call and the other phones will stop ringing.
To assign a specific outgoing number to a user who is a member of several call groups:
- Open the Users page, select the user, and click the Manage tab.
- Select the desired outgoing number from the drop-down field.
Purchase and port phone numbers
UniFi Talk allows you to purchase phone numbers in the application or import them from another provider.
To port a number from another provider:
- Go to the Numbers page and click the Port Number from Another Provider link.
- Fill in the required information.
- Sign the porting form in the pop-up window and click Submit.
Note: The number porting process is a federally regulated one that could take up to 4 weeks depending on whether the provider opts to contact you and confirm your transfer request.
To activate the numbers once they're transferred to your Talk account, click on the number and click Activate.