This article will detail key setup and configuration tasks that can be done in the UniFi Talk Controller, including:
- Creating users
- Assigning phones to users
- Assigning phone numbers to users
- Adding a SIP provider
- Setting up a switchboard
- Managing voicemails and call recordings
- Viewing call logs
- Setting up Call Groups
- Open the Users section of the UniFi Talk Controller, then click the Add User button in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Type the user's first name, last name, and extension in the respective text fields (if you do not assign an extension, the Talk Controller will do so automatically).
- Select the user’s phone number from the drop-down menu and click Save. If no phone number is selected the user will only be able to call internally unless they are assigned to a call group with an attached subscription.
Assign phones to users
A user must be assigned to each phone managed by the UniFi Talk Controller.
You can do it either on the Devices section, or via their profile panel.
- Assign a phone to a user via the Devices section:
- Open the Devices section.
- Hover your cursor over the phone you'd like to assign to the user, then click the Assign link when it appears.
- Select the desired user from the pop-up window's drop-down field, then click Assign.
- Assign a phone to a user via their profile panel:
- Open the Users section.
- Hover your cursor over the desired user, then click the Edit link.
- Select the phone that you'd like to assign to the user from the Reassign Device drop-down field.
- Click the Save button at the bottom of the user's profile panel.
Assign phone numbers to users
- Open the Numbers section of the UniFi Talk Controller. Here, you will see all the phone numbers included in your deployment.
- Hover your cursor over the number you would like to assign, then click the Assign link.
- Select the user and device that you'd like to pair with the number from the respective drop-down fields and click Confirm.
If you assign the new user a number that has already been assigned, the UniFi Talk system will remove the number from the previous assignee and give it to the new user.
Users without assigned phone numbers will not be able to make external calls, but will still have an active extension and be able to make and receive unlimited internal calls.
Add a SIP provider
Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) providers are entities that facilitate real-time voice and video communication (e.g., Twilio, Voxbone, 3CX, etc.).
If you currently subscribe to a 3rd party SIP provider, you will not need to purchase any additional UniFi Talk subscriptions in order to integrate their service with the UniFi Talk Controller.
- To create and configure a new trunk in your SIP provider's settings console:
- Create a credential list and assign username and password credentials to the trunk itself.
- Add an ACL IP and a new entry for your router's public IP address (e.g., 22.214.171.124/32).
- Add an origination uri in the same format as your router's public IP address (e.g., sip:126.96.36.199/6767).
- Ensure that the DID (Direct Inward Dialing) numbers you want to use with the UniFi Talk are assigned to the newly created trunk.
- Add your SIP provider's information to the UniFi Talk Controller:
- Open the Settings menu and click the SIP Setup tab.
- Click the Add Additional SIP Provider button at the bottom of the screen.
- Add the Provider name.
- Add your SIP provider's required fields:
- Locate your SIP provider's custom fields by either referencing the Providers ITSPs directory or your provider's user documentation.
- Click the Add Field button in the UniFi Talk settings menu.
- Type or paste the desired field into the Add Fields window and click the + icon to add them.
- Repeat this process for multiple field entries, and click Done.
- Add DID numbers from your SIP provider by typing them in the Input Phone Numbers field in the format that is supported by your provider / using E.164 format (e.g., +10123456789).
- Add your SIP provider's media and signaling servers (note that this step is not required for Twilio users).
- Click the Add IP Address Range button.
- Type the address information in the corresponding fields and click Add.
- Enable the Static Signaling Port toggle located in the Network tab of the UniFi Talk settings menu.
- Assign the new DID number(s) and phone(s) to users on the UniFi Talk Controller:
- Open the Users section of the UniFi Talk Controller.
- Click the desired user entry, then click the Manage tab at the top of their overview panel.
- Select the phone that you'd like to assign the user from the Reassign Device drop-down menu.
- Select the DID number that you'd like to assign the user from the Change Phone Number drop-down menu.
- Repeat this process as needed for additional users.
- E911 Compliance - When using a 3rd party provider for SIP, the 3rd party provider will be responsible for E911 cal. Please work with the provider to make sure all requirements are met.
- Add or adjust port forwarding rules on the device hosting UniFi Talk:
- Open the UniFi Network settings menu and go to Advanced Features tab.
- Click the Advanced Gateway Settings tab at the bottom of the page.
- Click the Create New Port Forwarding button.
- Add all required information to apply the port forwarding rule to the device hosting UniFi Talk's internal address.
If you have another router upstream from your host device, forward incoming traffic on Port 6767 to your host device (e.g., UDM, UCK).
Set up a switchboard
The switchboard is designed to help you easily create a call management tree that will route calls to the right place. With this feature, you can automatically direct callers to the right extension, or send them to specific extensions based on their language preference.
- To set up a switchboard:
- Open the Switchboard section on the UniFi Talk Controller.
- Click the template icon that best describes the size of your business.
- Type your business's name into the Company Name field and select your main phone number from the drop-down field below.
- If your business receives multilingual callers, click the Yes checkbox and select all applicable languages from the drop-down below. Call tree boxes will be automatically mapped to the right as you make your selections.
- Click Next button. Your registered users and their extensions will be populated on the call management tree.
- Click the Finish button to finalize the switchboard.
- To edit the call management tree:
- Drag and drop the user and input boxes within the call management tree to adjust their mapping.
- To edit an existing menu, click on its box to open its information panel. Here you can:
- Revise your main phone number and realign the tree's call handling boxes (root menu only).
- Enable and disable specific call handling boxes.
- Listen to your current greeting message, record a new one, or enter a text-to-speech prompt message.
- To add a new menu/user:
- Hover your cursor over the menu that you'd like to add a new user to and click the + icon that appears.
- Select Add User Menu from the drop-down field, then select the desired user to add them to the call management tree.
Note that users must be created in the controller first before adding them to a call management tree.
Manage voicemails and call recordings
The UniFi Talk Controller will have a voicemail inbox enabled by default. To listen to voicemails, click the Voicemail button on the UniFi Talk phone.
If you'd prefer to disable the voicemail inbox:
- Open the Settings section of the UniFi Talk Controller and click the Call Recording and Voicemail tab.
- Disable the voicemail toggle switch.
To automate call recordings:
- Enable the Automatic Call Recording toggle switch.
- Review the disclaimer text in the pop-up advisory window carefully, and click the I Understand button if you consent.
View call logs
Open the Call Log section to view a listing of every call made with a device managed by the UniFi Talk Controller.
To view the details of a specific call:
- Click the desired call's entry, or hover your cursor over its listing and click the View link when it appears.
- Review basic call information (e.g., caller, recipient, call experience score, length, date, and time) from the General section of the call log's pop-up panel.
- Click the Recording tab at the top of the call log's panel to listen to its recording.
To delete a call log, hover your cursor over the log's entry and click the Delete link, then click the Delete button in the confirmation pop-up window.
Setting up Call Groups
The UniFi Talk Controller allows you to create call groups that allow multiple phones to share a subscription and ring simultaneously. Call groups can be used across all features of UniFi Talk including the Switchboard.
To create a group of phones that share the same number, do the following:
- Go to the groups menu on the left-hand side of the controller.
- Click “Create New Group” on the top right.
- Enter a group name and assign a phone number to the group.
- Add an internal extension (optional).
- Add Users to the group.
- Click Create.
When the number is called all phones in that call group will ring. The first phone to answer the call will receive the call and the others will stop ringing.
To assign the default outgoing number for a user who is a member of several groups with different phone numbers, do the following:
- Go to the Users page and click on the user, then click on the Manage tab.
- Use the drop-down to select one of their call group’s phone numbers to be the outgoing number.