UFiber GPON - Initial Configuration
Readers will learn how to start implementing UFiber networks by configuring the UFiber OLT and provisioning the UFiber ONUs.
Table of Contents
- Introduction and Network Diagram
- Accessing the Management Interface
- Upgrading the Firmware
- Configuring the VLANs on the SFP+ Uplink Port(s)
- Configuring the ONUs using Bulk Editing
- Related Articles
Introduction and Network Diagram
The UFiber GPON equipment is designed to provide robust hardware that is ease to deploy and manage. This article provides the steps needed to log into the OLT and start configuring the UFiber network. The UFiber network can be monitored and managed using the built-in Web UI or the Ubiquiti Network Management System (UNMS).
Example scenario using the UFiber Accessories and the UFiber OLT, while managing the OLT through the management port.
Accessing the Management Interface
By default, the UFiber OLTs are managed through the dedicated management port. In order to log in to the OLT, follow the steps below:
1. Connect an Ethernet cable from a computer to the eth0 (management) interface on the OLT.
2. Configure a static IP address of your computer in the 192.168.1.0/24 range (for example 192.168.1.11).
3. Open a web browser and enter https://192.168.1.20 in the address bar.
4. Log into the OLT using the default credentials.
Upgrading the Firmware
After logging into the OLT, it is recommended to upgrade the firmware to the latest stable UFiber release. The latest UFiber OLT firmware can be downloaded from the UFiber Downloads page.
If the OLT is running a newer firmware release (v4.0.0 or newer), follow the steps below to upgrade the firmware:
1. Navigate to the System settings tab.
2. Select the Firmware upgrade button in the System actions section and browse your filesystem for the firmware release you wish to upload.
3. Wait for the firmware to be uploaded to the OLT.
4. Reboot the device when prompted.
5. Wait for the firmware upgrade process to complete.
If the OLT is running an older firmware release (v3.1.3 or older), follow the steps below to upgrade the firmware:
1. Navigate to the System settings in the bottom left corner of the Web UI.
System > Upgrade System Image > Upload a file...
2. Select Upload a file and browse your filesystem for the UFiber firmware release you wish to upload.
3. Wait for the firmware upgrade to complete.
4. Reboot the device when prompted.
Configuring the VLANs on the SFP+ Uplink Port(s)
The SFP+ uplink port(s) are used to connect UFiber GPON network to the rest of the routing and switching domain. Traffic typically flows from the WAN to a router (for example the ER-8-XG), continues on to a switch (optional, for example the ES-16-XG) and finally to the UF-OLT. All of these devices are interconnected using 10Gbps fiber SFP+ modules or DAC cables (for example the UF-SM-10G) using the SFP+ slots. The two SFP+ uplink ports on the UF-OLT can also be aggregated in a LAG using either Static or Dynamic (LACP) Link-Aggregation.
By default, the SFP+ uplink port is configured with VLAN1 set as the native VLAN. The native VLAN can optionally be changed or omitted completely. The SFP+ uplink port can also be configured to tag multiple VLANs, in essence creating a trunk/tagged port. Follow the steps below to modify the VLAN settings on the UFiber OLT:
1. Navigate to the VLANs tab to add the necessary VLANs.
VLANs > Add VLAN
Type: Single | Range
VLAN ID: <id>
2. Determine which VLANs should be
Untagged (U) or
Excluded (E) on the SFP+ uplink port(s).
Tagged (T)on the SFP+ uplink port(s) by default.
3. Apply the changes by clicking on the SAVE button.
Configuring the ONUs using Bulk Editing
On the PON side, the UFiber OLT has eight available PON ports where GPON OLT SFP modules (such as the UF-GP-B+ / UF-GP-C+) can be inserted. The modules then connects to the ONUs using several different fiber cables, PLC splitters and adapters. See our official Accessories article for more information on the available UFiber accessories.
The UFiber ONUs (UF-Nano / UF-LOCO / UF-WIFI) are configured through the OLT using Bulk Editing feature. On older firmware releases (pre v4.0.0) this was done by assigning an ONU Profile to the device. Various options can be configured on the ONUs, such as:
ModeBridge or Router.
VLANApplicable to Bridge Mode profiles.
ServicesFor example SSH, Telnet and UBNT Discovery.
FirewallApplicable to Router Mode profiles.
PortsPhysical link mode of the ONU Ethernet port(s)
Bandwidth ControlLimit the upload and download speed of the ONU to a set Mbps value.
By default, all ONUs are assigned to Bridge Mode with VLAN1 set as the native VLAN. In the example below, a newly added ONU is changed to tag VLAN100 and VLAN200 with VLAN1 set as the native VLAN.
Follow the steps below to modify the ONU settings using the OLT Web UI:
1. Navigate to the ONU list tab and select one or more ONUs.
2. Select the CONFIGURE button to modify the ONU settings.
Admin password: <secret>
Port 1 > Native VLAN: 1
Port 1 > Tagged VLANs: 100,200
2. Apply the changes by clicking on the SAVE button.
UFiber GPON - How to Upgrade the OLT Firmware
UFiber GPON - Triple-Play Services Using VLANs